This vegan one bowl banana bread is the new breakfast, snack recipe you’re looking for. Bonus that it is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, vegan, too! Such a simple recipe that is great to get kids involved with, too.
I have such great memories as a child squishing a bag of bananas to get ready to make banana bread. And the smell, oh the smell! Something so sweet and nostalgic from banana bread.
Bonus that it’s a one bowl banana bread recipe!
But, things change and life happens, sensitivities and allergies happen. Whether its wheat, egg, or milk this one bowl banana bread recipe has you covered.
This recipe is also great topped with some homemade peanut butter, or almond butter!
Gluten, wheat, egg, dairy free? Yes, Please!
Buckwheat is not wheat, despite it’s name. Buckwheat is considered a pseudograin that works well for the gluten free needs of so many these days. But, it’s still important to check on the source of buckwheat. Cross contamination is important to be aware of for your own health.
Buckwheat is a tasty alternative to wheat flour. And, it’s an excellent source of the B vitamins Riboflavin, Niacin and B5 aka Pantothenic Acid. Buckwheat is also an excellent source of magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc.
B vitamins are so important for so many functions in the body, especially for cell metabolism. Important for activating other vitamins and for metabolic processes. B2 is important for the breakdown of fatty acids. B3 plays an important role in the metabolism of glucose (sugar), fat and alcohol.
If you’ve read any of my other recipes, you know I love to throw in the nutrition piece of things! Let’s talk magnesium. So important for muscle health. Most of us are definitely not getting enough during the day. It is the 4th most abundant mineral and is involved in hundreds of reactions in the body. It’s definitely a heavy hitter. It helps with making energy, proteins from amino acids, and helps to contract/relax muscles…to name a few.
It also helps with neurotransmitters, the messages that circulate within your brain and nervous system. Speaking of neurotransmitters, did you know that there is a connection between your gut and neurotransmitters. The gut (aka your GI system) is considered a “second brain”? As much as 95% of neurotransmitters may reside/originate in the gut. Hi, microbiome health!
One Bowl Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 1/4 Cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Avocado Oil (oil of choice)
- 5 Ripe Bananas
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Brown Sugar (or cane sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Mash 5 bananas to puree consistency in a large bowl (or mash in a bag for a fun task for kids to do).
- Once bananas are in a large size bowl, add in (one by one) 1/3 cup oil, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup coconut brown sugar and blend together until smooth.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup brown rice flour. Continue to mix with mixer. (Tip : I like to use a slow speed to mix in flours to reduce the flour cloud and mess)
- Add in 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon and continue to mix.
- Slowly add in the 1 1/4 cup buckwheat flour (Tip : add in on slow speed to reduce the flour cloud and mess)
- Prepare loaf pan with oil, parchment paper or cooking spray (whatever you prefer)
- Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack. *Don't forget those oven mitts!*
- Enjoy! When cooled.