When we think of breakfast breads, chocolate wheat free zucchini bread probably doesn’t mind. Banana bread, I think, is the first to come to mind. I absolutely LOVE banana bread, as I think most people do…but, if you just so happen to be allergic or sensitive to bananas, or wheat (ahem, that’s me!), then it just won’t do for you. This wheat free zucchini bread recipe is here to liven up your mornings!
It’s amazing with your hot beverage of choice for the start of the day. Coffee or tea, it doesn’t matter; they both work.
And, it’s an added bonus to start your day with some veggies, too! One loaf of this bread certainly does not last long. Top it off with some homemade peanut butter or almond butter to knock it out of the park with some plant based protein.
If you have allergies or sensitivities to wheat then this is a great recipe for you to try. 4/4 people in my immediate family have had a reaction to wheat and it’s not always easy to find recipes to accommodate that.
Flax seed makes the perfect egg substitute, too to keep your recipes moist. It’s important to use flaxseed meal and not flax seeds. Most of the nutrients are unlocked when flaxseeds are ground, so that’s something important to remember when adding them to other recipes.
Let’s switch gears and talk about the benefits of zucchini. It is beneficial for Vitamins A, C and K, potassium, manganese, folate, to name a few. However, Vitamins A and C are reduced a bit in the cooking process. It’s still a nutritional benefit to get in vitamins and minerals in the morning and a definite upgrade over a typical bowl of cereal.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal (Flax eggs + 4 Tbsp warm water)
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar (Or Cane Sugar)
- 1.5 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (You can leave out if you’d prefer)
- 1/4 Cup Oil (Olive, Avocado, OR Grapeseed)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk (Or Almond Milk)
- 1 Cup Shredded Zucchini
- 1.25 Cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (1/2 cup buckwheat flour + 1/2 cup potato starch + 1/4 cup brown rice flour)
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare flax egg by mixing, in a small bowl, 2 Tbsp flax seed meal with 4 Tbsp warm water. Let sit until water is absorbed. Usually 2-3 minutes is enough.
- Grate zucchini and pat excess water out of grated zucchini. Place aside until the end.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients. 1/3 cup coconut sugar +1.5 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder +1/4 tsp salt + 1/2 cup cocoa powder + 1.25 cup gluten free flour blend
- *If you need a baking powder substitute, check out the recipe here.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients (2 flax eggs + 1/2 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup oil + 1/4 cup coconut milk).
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Once wet and dry ingredients are incorporated, fold in grated zucchini. Optionally, fold in chocolate chips if you’d prefer it extra chocolatey!
- Prepare loaf pan with “allowed” oil or cooking spray that works for you.
- Transfer batter into loaf pan. Place in center of oven on middle rack. Bake about 45 minutes (maybe up to 50 minutes, depending on oven/location/etc) or until toothpick comes out clean. You will likely see cracks in the top of the bread.
- Let bread cool on a wire rack, in the loaf pan at least 20 minutes before removing.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving. Enjoy!